Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bazaar, Picnics, English Classes and More

 Almost two weeks ago I had my first trip to the Bazaar. It was very interesting, such a mix of modernity and antiquity all wrapped into one. It feels older because it's a market, but electronics are sold among clothes, jewelry and food.  Some men wore the traditional clothing and others looked completely European (with the exception of the unibrows that are so common here). Stacy (a single fulltime worker here whom I love) and I went together. While it was safe for us to go, we did get a lot of "I love you"s and such as we are obviously American and fair-skinned. It was quite the experience and I hope to go back to get some souvenirs for myself, friends and family.

We also went on a  picnic with a family whose children go to our center. We drove about 45  minutes outside of the city, and picnicked by a lake. The picnicking was done much different than in America, but I enjoyed it. We went to a place by the river where you rent "pavillions". The mother of the family had made yaprach, or stuffed grape leaves. It was delicious. We ate and drank tea. Then we went closer to the river and paid to ride on a speed boat, which was also fun.. and helped with the 90 degree weather. Many people, including a few of us, wore the traditional clothing. I have yet to buy some.


English classes have been going well. This past Monday was a bit crazy. Student always have suggestions during the break, and it is hard not to feel compelled to take them into consideration. However, I keep telling myself that I am the native English speaker. Class if fun though. We often learn things about American culture from the curriculum, but then I get to ask them about their culture. Our previous unit was about food. The students are very open and eager to learn. However, sometimes they do not tell me if they do not understand, but we are working out all these minor problems.  I really enjoy the coffee shop nights because we get to hang out with our students rather than stand up front and teach them.

I also started my own language learning with a tutor. So far I have learned numbers, directions and greetings. I am not learning how to read and write as I am only here for about two more months, but it is nice to be able to shop and get around on my own.

I have been reading Exodus, and the passage about God sending the mana is one of my favorites. It reminds me that God is going to give me everything I need to get through the day. It is important for me to take things one day at a time. It is easy for me to look ahead to the future and miss people back home, but God is going to give me what I need for each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment