Friday, October 15, 2010

Already a Month!


I have been here for a little over a month now! I can’t believe it has already been that long. My first weeks here have just flown by! I have been learning a lot about Kurdish culture and the work that is being done here.

English classes have been going very well lately. The other day it seemed as if my students all of the sudden work up! Everything is beginning to make sense and I am having more conversations with them before and after class.  Coffee Shop nights have been going great as well. I have been able to meet more people outside of my class, and join in good and insightful conversations. One in particular stands out to me. Two weeks ago, I had a long conversation with a guy who takes English at the center. We talked about the differences between Islam and Christianity, and I was able to use some the verses from the Bible and the Koran that I had learned from my classes at Nyack.  I am excited just to be able to have these conversations.

I am adjusting to living here very well. We have been having difficulties with our hot water and electricity lately, but it has not been too bad. Thankfully it is not too hot or too cool outside right now. I have also been learning how to bake here as the ovens are different. I have had a few failures, but with more coffee shop nights I will get better!

Being here has made me think a lot about where I am going with my life. As of right now, of course I don’t know. However, I am learning more about things I like and don’t like. I am also learning about how I relate to people. It is very insightful and confusing all at the same time, but I am glad to have this opportunity to grow. 

From the picnic a few weeks ago. Ethan is adored by everyone here!
Random picnic site picture
Practicing our traditional dancing...
 For some reason I can't upload vertical pictures. I have a bunch more, but this will just have to be a preview for now!

1 comment:

  1. This is good to read. As you keep going you'll learn more and more about these people, yourself, your life. It is great to find the connection between what you study and how people live real lives. I'm so glad you are there!

    ReplyDelete